Thieves: Crafted in the Spirit of a Legendary Combination
‘Thieves’ was inspired by the legend of four 15thcentury French thieves who were successfully robbing the sick & dying afflicted by the Bubonic Plague. Historical records indicate that the thieves were caught and when on trial, the judge offered leniency if they disclosed how they were robbing without catching the illness. It was then the four Thieves stated they were dousing themselves in oils of clove, rosemary & other botanicals providing protection against the illness. Gary Young, the founder of Young Living and a Farmer to his core, developed the Thieves blend nearly 25 years ago based off these records. It is made of essential oils of Lemon, Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata & Rosemary, reminding many people of the scents of Christmas. To this day, it is used as an oil to support immune systems & overall wellness.
A few of our favorite ways to benefit from Thieves are:
- Diffusing: To Create a warm, clean atmosphere (Especially in my clinical office, during sick season at home and in rooms that suffer from dampness/mildew)
- Topically: Applying a drop or two on the bottoms of our feet with a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil; we do this here and there for overall immune support & more regularly when working to overcome illness
- Cleaning: Boost your cleaning routine by adding an extra drop or two of Thieves (to your dish or laundry detergent or household cleaner; more tips below)
*Some people choose not to use thieves while pregnant due to the cinnamon and not on young children. However, experts in the field express varying conclusions on this matter – feel free to touch base if you would like some resources to make your own informed decision.
Beyond supporting our immune system with Thieves, I also love that it is one of the main ways we are able to switch & ditch toxic products from our home. The Thieves Household Cleaner is a concentrate of biodegradable & organic ingredients, including plant based surfactants & essential oils that can replace every single cleaning product in your home or office. The best part is I can let my little kids help me clean to their little hearts delight and don’t even mind when they lick the windows or furniture now!
Some of our favorite ways to use Thieves Cleaner (T.C.) include:
- All-purpose cleaner: Literally switch every toxic or expensive ‘green’ cleaning spray under your sink with just this. 1
Capful T.C. + 2-3 cups water. Spray and wipe bathroom, kitchen, EVERYWHERE!!!
- Heavy Degreaser: Combine 1 capful T.C. with 1 cup water. Apply with a cloth to remove surface grease. Wipe clean with a wet cloth (Check out the blog for an amazing Thieves + bi-carb solution for a chemical-free deep oven clean).
- Carpet or Mattress Freshener: Mix 1 capful T.C. with 1 Cup bi-carb. Leave over-night so moisture is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpet or mattress, let sit for 30 minutes, vacuum thoroughly.
- Freshen bins, fridge, smelly bedrooms and cars too!
When you make your own Thieves Household Cleaner, it works out to $1.50 per spray bottle because it’s so concentrated and requires such a small amount. It takes me a solid year to need a replacement concentrate. Let me know if you would like to try and I’ll mail you some.
*Helpful Hint: if you have an old glass bottle from apple cider vinegar or similar size (like the amber ones you’ll buy apple cider vinegar in), save it, stick a label & write Thieves Cleaner, add your water + T.C. & screw on a regular cleaning spritz top for a great glass cleaning spray bottle!
I hope you found this Legend & tips for using Thieves Essential Oil helpful. If you would like to learn more or buy your own, I’m always happy to chat, teach a workshop, smell some oils over a cuppa or catch up from a distance via phone, email or skype. Thank you for reading!